Sunday, June 6, 2010

Forida Title and Registration "FIASCO"

My first order of business for my new 1965 Honda Dream 305 was to get the motorcycle registered with the state of Florida and purchase the optional antique plate. As always this procedure again did not go smoothly.

Let me start by saying I purchased this vehicle from upstate NY. It was not registered or titled. The last time (according to the registration sticker on the front fork) this bike was registered was 1979.

Having bought an untitled, unregistered 1952 Harley from Colorado just 3 years ago, my husband thoroughly researched and investigated the Florida State Statues for registering an out of state vehicle. ( I will be posting the Florida Statues below with parts that pertain to my situation highlighted.) The Florida Statues clearly states that if the vehicle is ancient or vintage, and unregistered or untitled, all that is needed is an affidavit signed by the seller that he or she is the owner of the vehicle and there are no liens on the vehicle.

Three years ago when I attempted to register the 1952 Harley, I went to the Brandon, Fl Auto Tag office armed with the statues just in case of any resistance. Of course I was told I needed alot more paperwork such as a title, etc. Pointing out their own statues in the documents, they still refused because they "have their own policies and procedures on their checklist and can not deviate". Very frustrated, I went home and my husband, Bruce, called our Congressman. The very next day we were "invited" back to the Tag Office to register the bike.

Fast forwared 3 years to last Thursday 6/3/2010. This time I went to the Plant City office which is less busy and more convienent. At least I thought. Again trying to register the 1965 Honda Dream I was told the same thing. I politely told the supervisor she was wrong and she should call Tallahassee for verification. She advised me she will call Tallahassee, but she was sure she would be told she is following her correct procedure. She dissappeared in the back room for quite a while. While standing at the window with the agent that was only doing her job, I asked if she could pull up the records for the 1952 Harley. After producing my Drivers license, she was able to locate the records from 3 years ago. Evidently they keep all paperwork for not less than 10 years and my paperwork had been scanned in and it clearly indicated who approved this and that it indeed was legal according to the Florida Statues. Yea!! She went to the back where the supervisor was apparently trying to contact Tallahasee. Within a few minutes she returned and said she would be able to process my registration application. One hour later I had the registration and tag, with my title coming in the mail shortly.

The only bummer thing about this is it cost a total of $175.00 for registering an out of state vehicle. I asked if this was an impact fee and was advised no, it is the out of state registration fee. HUH? A rose is still a rose by any other name......

Anyways. I thought I would post this story because If any one should happen to read this and is in the same situation as I was, it may help.
I have to wonder how many people have they turned away and put through hell because they did not follow their own correct procedures stated in their own Florida Statues??

No comments:

Post a Comment